>I think things went well yesterday! I got to see the dr that I was scheduled to see (thank you, pregnant women, for not going into labor before my appointment!), and she was great. She went over all the tests we’ve had – essentially, line by line. I loved that! When I saw an RE years ago, I never knew what tests they were even taking, much less what the results were. All they would say was that things looked good or would just tell me what to do next. So, my experience yesterday was a big relief. I was tested for a billion things (they even tested my cholesterol!), and they did a prenatal panel, too. Everything looks totally normal, which is good. My FSH was a little over 6, which was a relief. She explained that the FSH number is not always a good indicator of ovarian reserve and egg quality, but that it’s still good to have it under 10. I know that some dr’s won’t proceed with IVF on patients who have an FSH higher than 10, so it’s just good to know where I stand. I’ll be 36 in May, and there is only one RE in town, so I would like to keep my options open!

Anyway – I really liked the dr. Even though she’s not an RE, she was very informed. She knew about a lot of studies, different protocols, etc. I still think it will be a little different and with less monitoring than an RE, but I am ok with that for now. If there were a bunch or RE’s in the area to choose from, I might feel differently. But the RE is only in town 50% of the time as it is, and her main practice is two hours away.

So, here’s the deal. Apparently, because my insurance covers all of this, the first thing they have to do is write a letter to the insurance company to get pre-approval for a treatment plan. She is doing that now. While we’re waiting for that, I’ll take clomid. It’s only 50mg, and they don’t do any monitoring or an IUI. She didn’t expect much from it, but said it was worth a shot while we wait. Until the insurance approves it, nothing is covered. Since Clomid is inexpensive, it’s worth a shot. So we’ll do that for 1-2 cycles.

After that (hopefully with approval in hand), we would move on to injections – and then she mentioned two routes…I’m a little foggy on this part, because she talked about two medications. She said they could be used separately or together, and we could either try one alone for one cycle, or use them in combination right off the bat. One was Follistim, but I can’t remember the other one (maybe Repronex, but I’m not sure). Anyway, we would also check my tubes (which I have had done before, but we’ll give it another look) – but that is also pending the insurance approval. She mentioned the possibility of doing laproscopic surgery, to see if something is going on that we’re missing, but she didn’t seem to think it would be terribly useful and worth the risk. There would be more ultrasounds with the injectable medications, and closer monitoring overall. It still seemed like less than what I had at the RE’s office, but enough that they would be able to monitor it. I don’t think there would be much fooling around with dosages or anything – it seems like they have kind of a standard thing that they stick with. That’s fine, since she was thinking the whole thing would hopefully take 6-7 months. After that, she said, they would send me to the RE and plan for IVF.

She said we could slow things down if we want to and take breaks or try a few things for a longer period of time if we wanted to, but if we wanted to get moving, this would be the general plan. I think it’s good. I’m not totally thrilled about Clomid, but the dosage is half of what I took before, so it might be ok. It feels good to at least be moving ahead. My hope is that within a year, we’ll know one way or another. We’ll either have a baby or be pregnant, or we’ll know this just isn’t going to happen for us.