We had our consultation with the doctor. She recommended a lap, followed by IVF, but said she would be willing to do medicated IUIs if we weren’t comfortable with IVF. Unfortunately, I have two issues-

A cyst is still covering my left ovary. The dr. thinks it’s an endometrioma and that I have endometriosis. She said that the cyst would have to be removed prior to IVF, but recommended that I have the lap and deal with the cyst whether we decided to proceed with treatment or not.

My AMH was low (1) and my FSH high (10.1). She said they aren’t so high that it’s a sign that I’m soon to be menopausal, but high enough that she believes egg quantity/quality could be an issue. I was surprised how much things could change in two years (my FSH was 6-7 two years ago), but I wasn’t totally stunned. That’s what I was afraid of, really.

She said if I only had endo or only had egg issues, she would recommend IVF, but with the two issues together, she would absolutely recommend IVF.

She didn’t mention donor eggs at this point, although I’m sure it’s a possibility that’s dependent on how an IVF cycle goes.

On one hand, I’d like to just say forget it — it just isn’t going to happen. I just had a LEEP in July to deal with my cervix, and now I need a lap to deal with the cyst on my ovary?!? Between that and my egg issues, is it even worth trying??? On the other hand, I feel like it’s worth a shot. I don’t want to have any regrets, and putting it off and trying later is definitely not an option.

So, that’s where we are. I’m still waiting to hear back from the surgery coordinator, so I don’t know what kind of timeline we’re looking at for the surgery. I’m definitely not looking forward to it, and it’s hard to be optimistic, but I’m trying.

Advertisements