So, I obviously haven’t posted here in ages. As I got closer to my due date, I just didn’t have much to say! And then I had a new born, and then an infant, and now I have a 1 year old. It’s still so hard to believe, and I remind myself how lucky I am on days where I might forget.

To make a very long story short, my daughter was born the day before her due date on July 4 after a 12-hour or so labor. I had been uncomfortable for a few days and was dilated to about 4 cm by the 3rd, but things weren’t moving along at any particular speed. I though maybe I was in labor a few times, but my doctor assured me that I wasn’t, and that I would know it when I was! I woke up at 2 am the morning of July 4 and realized she was right – I was definitely in labor now! We timed my contractions for a few hours and my husband dozed on and off until about 5 am, when I decided we better go to the hospital. I was massively uncomfortable and was starting to get a little nervous about the car ride and just being home – I felt like we just needed to go. After an uncomfortable ride to the hospital, we checked an and they verified I was something like 6 or 7 cm dilated, so I was admitted and put in a labor and delivery room. I wanted to try laboring without any pain meds, so they pretty much just left us alone in the room and would just check in periodically. The nurses were amazing and so supportive! I was incredibly uncomfortable (so much more than I thought I would be!) but just kept tying to stay calm and take deep breaths. My daughter was born after about 30 minutes of pushing around 2 pm on July 4!

Everything went well after that. We had a great breastfeeding experience, but she was not what I would call an “easy” baby. She was a really big crier – maybe colicy? – and it made things pretty challenging. It wasn’t uncommon for her to spend 30 minutes or so hysterically crying multiple times a day, and there was no amount of bouncing, feeding, holding, swinging, etc. that seemed to help. After a while, we got into a groove and the worst of it passed, but by then she was only content with me. Even as an 8-week old baby, she wouldn’t let anyone else hold her – many times not even my husband!

I’m happy to say, though, that things have gotten easier as time has passed. She’s a happy girl now and is still a mommy’s girl, but she loves her daddy, too. She’s got a strong, fiery personality and is still quick to let us know when she’s unhappy, but that’s just her and we love her for it. She brings us so much joy and makes us both laugh every day.

We had some surprising news in May…we found out I was totally unexpectedly pregnant! I had just turned 40 and just assumed there was no way I would ever get pregnant on my own. After trying for 4 years and doing IVF to conceive our daughter, I just didn’t think it would happen. I was still breastfeeding, but my period had come back a few months prior, so I knew that technically it could happen, but really? I thought getting pregnant after IVF was some kind of a myth or urban legend. We’re nervous about having a two kids so close together, but I know it will work out – and I know how incredibly lucky we are, too. It’s still a bit of a shock, but I’m sure we’ll be used to the idea after a while!

I don’t think I’ll be able to update here very often – between working and having a 1 year old (and being pregnant) – I just don’t have very much time, but I’ve been meaning to post an update here for ages, in case anyone is still reading. To anyone who is reading, thank you for your support and best of luck to you!